Thursday, September 16, 2010

Treasures from the Royal Tombs of Ur.



This article revolves around an art exhibition called “Treasures from the Royal Tombs of Ur” that traveled around the country several years ago, showing off incredible Mesopotamian artworks. I stumbled upon it while doing a little bit of research regarding the Great Lyre from the Kings Grave, which was featured in the art show. The article was very interesting because it exposed me to several other pieces of Mesopotamian art, such as the Silver Head of a Lion. This is an important work because the lion is a huge piece of Sumerian mythology. The show explores the many great accomplishments of the near east, including cuneiform and many other works of art. Hopefully someday I will have the opportunity to view these art works and learn about them more directly.

2 comments:

  1. i liked how this is very relatable to what we are learning in class. its sounds like you are very interested in this which is really cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that its neat that you actually found an article that has to do with what we are talking about in class. I didn't even think to look at Mesopotaian art. I chose to comment on your articel review becuase this summer I was able to see several exibitions with ancient art featured when I traveled to Israel. Seeing ancient art in person made the ancient civilization see more real in a way because you are able to view something tangable that belonged to that civilization in some way. I looked up the Silver Head of a Lion from ancient Mesopotamian art and for some reason I was suprised it was realistic looking just because many representations in ancient art are more characters of the actual beings and don't look very realistic. It does show the accomplishments of the near east, not that they could not have the skills to complete realistic artwork but it shows great craftsmanship that was obviously valued or else the peice would not have been done.

    ReplyDelete