Friday, October 15, 2010

The Parthenon



I really enjoyed talking and reading a bit about the parthenon in class this week. I went to Greece with my family when I was much younger and vaguely remember visiting the acropolis, so getting a more in depth look at what the structures meant and how they were constructed has been really interesting. The mixture of Doric and Ionian forms in the columns is a really creative means of combining the cultures of the two societies. I also found the different theories explaining why certain parts of the parthenon are exaggerated, for example the curves along the sides and the wide corner columns. These variances in design definitely make the parthenon a more exciting work to view and ponder. One of the most memorable things about seeing the Parthenon first hand was simply taking in the vastness and beauty of the structure. I look forward to visiting Nashville's replica of the Parthenon next week and gaining further insight into this incredible piece of architecture.

No comments:

Post a Comment